The second plenary SoilCare meeting takes place from Monday, March 13th – Thursday, March 16th, 2017. On 16th, there will be an optional excursion to the study site of TUC.
The location of the meeting will be the town of Chania, Crete, Greece.
Meetings will be held at the Grand Arsenal, Old Venetian Harbour. (hyperlink: HERE)
KAM is in downtown Chania so we recommend the following hotels that are within walking distance from the venue. Note that the rates mentioned below are especially arranged for SOILCARE.
Participants are requested to book their own rooms via phone or email (or hotel contact forms) and to mention SOILCARE in order to get the special rate. Availability is guaranteed until December 31st.
Phone: +30 28210 51881-3-5
Distance from venue, ca. 9 minute walk.
Approximately 30 standard rooms are available in the following range:
|Standard single||€ 63.00|
|Standard double||€ 70.00|
|Superior double||€ 77.00|
|Standard double seaview||€ 85.00|
Superior rooms are also available at higher prices. All credit cards are accepted. It is possible credit card information is requested to confirm booking.
Porto VENEZIANO hotel
Phone: +30 28210 27100
Distance from venue, ca. 4 minute walk.
Approximately 45 rooms available in the following price range:
|Economy, 1 person||€ 63.00|
|Economy, 2 persons||€ 75.00|
|Standard double, 1 person||€ 72.00|
|Standard double, 2 persons||€ 85.00|
|Double seaview, 1 person||€ 85.00|
|Double seaview, 2 persons||€ 98.00|
Superior rooms are also available at higher prices. All credit cards are accepted. Possibly credit card information will be asked for to confirm booking.
There are plenty of restaurants in the vicinity of venue and hotels. Lunch will be at the venue. There will be 1 joint dinner, on Monday, March 13th.
All meals arranged by the organisers will include vegetarian and lactose free food options. The majority of restaurants offer vegetarian dishes as part of the local cuisine. Please indicate any food option required on the registration form.
a. International travel options
By plane: Chania “Daskalogiannis” Airport (CHQ) is the local airport, about 30 minutes from the hotel and venue. If for some reason this is not an option, try Heraklion “Kazantzakis” Airport (HER), but keep in mind it’s 3 hours away by bus from Chania. If better connections are available for HER we can provide more detailed info about transportation to Chania.
Please note that Chania is a hub for Ryan Air and Heraklion is a hub for Easyjet.
b. Local travel options
Once in CHQ airport, there are four alternatives to reach the city center (hotels/venue):
- Public transportation: Bus (Cost € 2,30). Take the exit on the right (see picture) that takes you in front of the bus stop. You can ask for information/purchase tickets at the kiosk or in the bus. The bus schedule is available HERE.The bus will take you to the central station from where you can walk (1km - 12 minutes) or take a taxi to Hotel Kriti
(route: HERE )
For Hotel Porto Veneziano it’s an additional 5 minutes
- Taxi (€ 16,- flat rate from the taxi station): Take the exit to the taxi station (see picture) and ask to go to Kriti Hotel (about 20-minute drive). If in doubt about the fare reference the pricelist http://www.chaniataxi.gr/en/pricelist/ under “Chania city (all areas)”. Fares are also on a notice board at the taxi station. You should be able to share a cab.
- Taxi (€ 22,- flat rate pre booked): same as above or someone waiting for you at arrivals http://www.chaniataxi.gr/eshop/chania-city-all-areas.html. You should be able to share a cab.
- By car: Available car rental companies at the airport.
Follow this route: HERE.
Keep in mind that hotel Porto Veneziano has no parking in front as it is right on the seafront.
7. Local Money
- The local currency is Euro's.
- There are several ATM machines in town and in the ground floor of the airport. The closest to the hotels is probably https://www.google.gr/maps/place/EUROBANKemail@example.com,24.0228604,594a,20y,0.88t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x149c7dbe74f320a9:0x2d509054573c2aa!2sChatzimichali+Giannari,+Chania+731+00!3b1!8m2!3d35.5139196!4d24.0185767!3m4!1s0x0:0xd3d96a30fdc834f6!8m2!3d35.5143311!4d24.0226109" target="_blank">HERE
- A map including ATMs will be provided upon arrival.
- The hotel, all restaurants and most shops accept credit cards. The Central Market Square, as well as other open markets, street food, coffee places and bars will probably accept only cash.
8. Local Weather
Temperatures in March are 9-16 C (check here for more specific info: HERE)
At that time of the season there is a substantial chance of rain. Those coming to the excursion should dress for somewhat colder temperatures due to altitude.
There is an optional excursion on Thursday, March 16th. It will be all day, and will visit the study site on Crete. The excursion will be by bus, but will also involve some walking. Please bring sturdy shoes and raincoat as rainy weather is possible. Lunch will be arranged and water is provided on the bus. We expect to be back in town between 17:00-18:00. The airport is 20 minutes taxi ride from the hotel but those in a hurry to catch a plane may be dropped at the airport on the way back from the excursion.
10. Meeting costs
There will be a single fee to cover the costs of meeting room, coffee breaks, lunches, and 1 joint dinner. The fee will be around 80 Euros. The fee for the optional excursion will be around 30 Euros (including cost for bus and lunch). The exact fee will depend on the number of participants. Receipts will be issued. Cash is preferable for both fees. Please indicate if you want to join the excursion on the registration form.
11. Registration for the meeting
Participants are requested to register for the meeting on the registration page. Please make sure you have booked your hotel room and flight to Chania before you register, since these data need to be entered on the registration page.
Alterra is responsible for the programme of the meeting: